Monday, June 11, 2012

Hootabellicious

Okay finally. I bring you all things Hooty from the party...

First I bring you the finished product of the Hoot cupcakes... I originally had grand plans of making a 3d hootabelle cake, but common sense kicked my butt (and then a lovely friend offered to do the cake for me anyway...hoooray!) but I had already started mixing purple icing. I think I would do this again - fail safe cupcake icing! Roll blobs into balls and then roll flat - tada! Cupcake covered! I then popped a Hoot on top. (mud cake courtesy of Aldi. Sorry....)



Hoot Biscuits
I had originally planned to make my own sugar biscuits using shapes I had seen on Pinterest. I was then going to ice each one by piping them with royal icing...
And then reality slapped me.
One packet of arrowroot biscuits and that good ol' orchid ready to roll icing (already mixed in Hootish colours from the cupcake toppers) dotted with black edible writing gel. They were done within half an hour. (little tip - add the eyes just before setting out as the writing gel doesn't set hard and you'll end up with pupils everywhere.)


Hootaballoon

Okay I'm a little proud of this idea. Turning a mere people balloon into Hootabelle... Little One even recognised it! =) win! A balloon, coloured paper, cardboard (for the feet...i used empty cake packets), scissors and glue stick was all this took.
Tips for this one: chop off the nobbly bit of the balloon to assist in standing upright. I cut a slit in the cardboard and slid the end of the balloon in. Blutac was my best friend holding this bouncy lady in place on the food table.


Party Bags

Print, cut, paste!
Plain coloured paper bags from Ronis for $2. Bargain.


Rainbow Cakes
Okay, not my idea, and not Hooty, but had to include a pic of the finished product :)
Tip: icing in a can (the spray kind) ended up being my party day saving grace here... Knocked them over in a jiffy and the clouds looked extra puffy. Learnt that humidity makes the rainbows flop though =(


Finally....
Look at what my friend did.... The best darn Hoot & Hootabelle cake ever!


Xxx Thank you Emma!! (excuse dodgy background.... )

Oh yes.... And a picture of the toilet sign. I don't know about you...  maybe you can *actually* get your house immaculate before a party. I couldn't. So I had a junk room. Actually, we had two. We also had babies and little ones coming which meant that the toilet and bathroom doors needed to stay shut.
Well I didn't want some poor soul to accidentally open the door to Pandora's Junk Room (I'm sure her stuff wasn't limited to that one little box) so signs made it fool proof!! (though I did hear you, Mark, walk into the bathroom and say "oh, this isn't the toilet!" even though you have been to our house a dozen times before...)
So simple, but highly recommended.
Okay, I think that's enough sugar for today! (oh yes, sorry parents.... There was a lot of blue sugar, wasn't there?)






2 comments:

Emma said...

great work Cat. I thought the balloons were such a top idea and looked great!

Cat said...

Thanks Emma!
I'm still amazed by your cake...and the inside...oh my I can't believe I didn't mention the *inside* of the cake!! Tri-colour goodness!

Come on a journey with me and see some paint, fire, salsa, and a whole lot of caffeine!

Stalkers

Powered by Blogger.